Wednesday, August 12, 2020

Best new tracks Down Under #32





With the vibrant indie music scene in Australia and New Zealand constantly outshining much of the output from their British and American cousins, Little Indie picks our weekly bunch of some of the best new tracks on offer.



BENEE - SNAIL


The follow-up to 'Night Garden (ft. Kenny Beats, Bakar)' and 'Supalonely (ft. Gus Dapperton)' from pop diva BENEE. Written and recorded with Josh Fountain, the Auckland, NZ artist was inspired to write the song after spending weeks in isolation. “When we were in lockdown, I was fascinated by snails. There wasn’t really a lot to be doing, so I would spend a lot of time outside looking at snails and would think about how they’re doing their own little thing and they’re all free. I just played around with the idea of being kind of like a snail and how I come out in the rain. Being stuck inside because of COVID, it’s kind of my lockdown song.”
Facebook




OBSCURA HAIL - DOOMER


The Melbourne-via-Wollongong indie rock trio have delivered this new fuzzy, reverbed noise track, taken from their forthcoming double EP, 'Siren/ Zero', out on September 18 via Remote Control Records/Dot Dash. “The instrumentation is our heaviest yet, to give a voice to the guilt, shame, anger and frustration that comes with feeling powerless," explains vocalist Sean Conran.
Facebook




MERCI, MERCY - FALL APART

Credit: She Is Aphrodite 

Sydney-based, 19-year-old artist merci, mercy shares her second single 'Fall Apart'. The electronic number, produced by Joel Quartermain of Eskimo Joe and Edwin White, comes with an infectious chorus, distorted beats and warm, pop vocals. "‘Fall Apart’ references the cynical version of myself," she says. "Where I question the point in starting something with someone when I know it’s just going to end. In my mind I think I’m going to get hurt, so will it be worth it? It’s an apology and explanation to any future relationship that could be harmed by my cynical mind."
Facebook




DEATH BY DENIM - OUT OF HABIT


Perth four-piece Death By Denim return after 2019's 'Year Long Minute' EP, and this year's singles, 'Homemade' and 'Jump to Mars'. 'Out Of Habit', released last week, is  filled with synth textures and retro, 90s vibe and provides a taste of what their forthcoming debut album, due out late this year, may have in store.
Facebook




TIMI TEMPLE - SNAKES & LADDERS


Sydney's Timi Temple has just unveiled this colourful new single ‘Snakes & Ladders’. Searing guitar riffs, thudding percussion, distinctive vocals are augmented with reverb-soaked instrumentation and a psych-laden bridge. “'Snakes & Ladders' is a song born of societal experiences and commentary about my life. As I’m starting to see success in my music career, sycophantic friends from the past emerge (the snakes) to climb the career ladder that they now deem me to be? Ironically, the sombre tone of the song is downplayed through the use of the children's board game metaphor and my tongue in cheek lyrics. The song also has a strong connection to my home country of Australia referencing ‘Falls Festival in December.”
Facebook




DOWN FOR TOMORROW - TROUBLE PRONE 

Credit: Robbie Walcott 

This fourth single from the Sydney punk four-piece's 'Whatever Happens' EP, is a blast of driving pop-punk. "Everybody hates ghosting, yet a lot of us are guilty of doing it - myself included," says the band's Cody Stebbings. "So, you could say this song is a dig at the hypocrisy of ghosting people, and at those who don’t understand that their lives are a reflection of their attitxude and how they treat people. It’s also a dig at myself too."
Facebook

No comments:

Post a Comment