Wednesday, October 14, 2020

Best new tracks Down Under #41

 



With the vibrant indie music scene in Australia and New Zealand constantly outshining much of the output from their British and American cousins, Little Indie picks our weekly bunch of some of the best new tracks on offer.


NICK WARD - I WANNA BE MYSELF OR NOTHING AT ALL


Nineteen-year-old Sydney-based Nick Ward teams up with Lontalius on this minimalist, intimate, self-produced offering. 'I Wanna Be Myself Or Nothing At All' is a song dealing with acceptance, self-identity and sexual discovery that Nick experienced while at an all-boys school. "It's scared the living shit out of me since I wrote it a couple of years ago in the midst of it all," he explains. "The lyrics have been floating around on my phone for a couple years, but the production and arrangement has taken many different forms. I really love blending production elements from different genres, and I see this song as a blend of boom-bap drums, baroque-style choral arrangements and folk elements." Check it out via the self-directed video - with some cute infant footage.
REI - BORDERLINE 


Auckland-via-Wellington, NZ rising hip-hop star Rei unveils his latest delivery. The catchy, self-produced ‘Borderline’ was recorded in Auckland at Kog Studio with Chris Chetland (Dua Lipa, Snoop Dogg) on mixing/ mastering. The track puts the early stages of a relationship under the microscope. “I wrote and produced this song one Saturday night when I was feeling a little lonely, wanting to be with someone but also frustrated at my reluctance to commit to another relationship. It's also just a fun song, about embracing the casualness of some relationships. Not everything has to be all lovey dovey and serious. Sometimes we need to go through a few casual things to be ready for something more serious. And that's what this song is all about. Embracing the casual, but also kinda missing that past love.” 
Facebook



OLY SHERMAN - THE WORLD IS A BAD ROOM


He gave us a touch of 'Madness' at the start of the year, now Sydney-based singer-songwriter Oly Sherman returns with this soulful new single. Rich vocals are dominate with depth and a soulful edge, as lyrically, he says, it "basically encapsulates our decisions when weighed up with friends, relationships and social media.” 



TRACE DECAY - EMPTY HANDED 

Credit: damograph

Melbourne-based indie-pop duo Trace Decay, Jordan De Pas and Jeri, return with new single ‘Empty Handed’. Produced by Edvard Hakansson (IV League, Jack Grace), and out this Friday (October 16), intricate harmonies, dreamy guitars and sprightly percussion augment De Pas’ vocals. "I wrote 'Empty Handed' when I was going through a period of transition and was uncertain if I was on the right path to improving my own mental health or making it worse," he says. "I was holding myself to double standards and constantly second-guessing everything. It got to the point where I almost felt paralysed when I had to make a choice about anything as the fear of getting it wrong would haunt me. The verses are about me struggling with being in that unshakable mindset, trying to find answers anywhere. The chorus of this song was the last thing that was written as I was so stuck with where it should go."



SWIMWEAR - CHAPTER ONE: HAPPYNESS


Sydney artist Tim Derricourt, aka Swimwear - the Dappled Cities singer's solo project - unveils the lead single off his upcoming 'Night Air' debut album. Fielding a funky bassline with woozy synths, melodic vocals to create a three-minute atmospheric slice of blissful dreampop.



THEIA - FREAK 


Sydney-based electronic alt-pop New Zealander Theia is back with the two-minute 'Freak'. The bass-heavy number juxtaposes Theia's vocal dynamics with sharp futuristic cyber-pop elements and booming production. Theia explains that 'Freak' "captures the grungy and sensual nature of strip clubs and the powerful women who inhabit them."

No comments:

Post a Comment