Friday, November 13, 2020

Loyle Carner makes his return with the confronting ‘Yesterday’

Credit: Francis Plummer


Words: Ellie Ward 

Premiered by Annie Mac on BBC Radio 1 as her ‘Hottest Record’, ‘Yesterday’ marks ths return of Loyle Carner with his first new track of the year.

Out now on EMI Records, ‘Yesterday’ - produced by Madlib - sees Carner take on racism in the past and in the present in his uncompromising lyrics.

"It’s really just about what it is to be black and white, in a world where you pretty much have to be one or the other," he says. "It hurts the way I felt about my race back then, is the same way I feel now. Nothings changed since my last entry, nothings changed since the last century. 

"I hope that soon this song is nothing more than a reminder of a different time, and collectively we’re able to move forward to a time of more respect, acceptance and understanding."

No comments:

Post a Comment