Continuing our Great Escape festival artist previews, today we take time out with Spring King.
Seasoned Escapers and much vaunted Spring King come to this year's event fresh (or not so fresh!) from a UK headline tour and appearance on Later Live with Jools Holland last week. The Manchester post-punk four-piece deliver their eagerly awaited debut album, 'Tell Me If You Like To', on June 10, preceded by single 'The Summer'.
1. First time at TGE?
We’ve played a couple times! This will be our third year at TGE!
2. Are you a seasoned Escaper as a punter, or a first-time newbie?'
I’ve never been to it as a punter, but after we play we always go out and watch bands. The whole city is heaving with punters and musicians, all looking to have a great time. It’s always a fun party.
3. Will you be a Brighton day-tripper or staying for the whole event?
I think we’ll be staying!
4. The highlight of your set will be...?
The whole thing is a highlight, to be honest. But we love playing 'Who Are You?' and 'City'! It’s always the most intense part of our sets.
5. Where will we be likely to find you after your set: at the bar, on the beach, stuffing fish 'n' chips, or other?
By the merch stand or in the crowd watching more music!
6. Aside from building sandcastles on the beach with your little bucket and spade, what else will you be up to in Brighton?
I might be by the arcades at some point playing games and eating ice cream. Can’t beat a bit of time crisis.
7. Who else playing at TGE are you hoping to see yourself, or would recommend others should put on their must see list?
Eera, Bleached and Let’s Eat Grandma, for sure - but there’s so many more.
8. Where and when can we catch you at the festival?
We’re playing at Patterns on May 19th on the Amazing Radio stage.
9. Any tips for festival goers?
Have a plan or use a clash finder to make sure you make the shows you want to see, but also, take a chance and walk in to random venues playing music because you might find something you weren’t expecting.10. Complete this sentence: "You must see us at The Great Escape because..."
We’d love to play some songs for you that hopefully you’ll dig.
(Questions answered by Tarek Musa, vocalist / drummer / songwriter / producer...man of many accomplishments!)
Track Spring King on FACEBOOK
The Great Escape takes place at various venues across Brighton between May 19 - 21. Click here for further information.