Tuesday, June 06, 2017

Watch :: Dom Joly exposes anxiety behind the mask in Pop Crisis' video Tell Me I’m Wonderful





Words: Ellie Ward

Pop Crisis unveils the captivating new video, starring Dom Joly, for forthcoming single 'Tell Me I’m Wonderful', released on June 16.

Pop Crisis is a new project from The Leisure Society’s multi-instrumentalist and producer Christian Hardy, who together with bass player Jon Cox and drummer Sebastian Hankins.

First single 'Tell Me I’m Wonderful' is a bewitching ballad about insecurity and hypocrisy. “I write about the things we humans do to each other in the real world because of the alternative worlds in our heads,” says Hardy.

The video produced by Shady Cabal stars TV’s Dom Joly in an anxiety-laden look at the vanity, ego and the thin skin of artists.

"I wanted to make a video about the brittleness of modern men under all that bravado and bluster, and I thought Dom could do that really well," Christian explains. "I sent him the song, then we met up for a ginger beer and had a very frank chat about anxiety and panic attacks.'

The concept of ego and the veil one assumes in public life intrigued Joly: "When I heard the song I kind of instantly felt it was about the mask we all wear in public. I was going to do something really clever to highlight this but in the end just painted my face white and looked sad."

Despite half expecting Joly to break out with a "I'M IN A VIDEO!" cry, this visual treatment, shot around London, draws you in.

Watch below.

No comments:

Post a Comment