Cardiff-based Boy Azooga, helmed by Davey Newington (who describes their style as 'slacker glam'), came to attention last year with the psych-flecked debut single for Heavenly Recordings, 'Face Behind Her Cigarette', which was followed recently by the more indie-poppish 'Jerry'. Boy Azooga's debut album, '1, 2 Kung Fu!', is out on June 6.
1. First time at TGE?
I've been to The Great Escape a few times before, drumming for different bands, but this is the first time for we Azoogas.
2. Are you a seasoned Escaper as a punter, or a first-time newbie?
It's always been a bit manic when I've been before, so haven't seen much stuff but will definitely be doing so this time around.
3. Will you be a Brighton day-tripper or staying for the whole event?
We will just be day tripping sadly, as I love Brighton! My sister lives there so would love to stick around. We're in Paris the day before, though, and Nottingham the day after.
4. The highlight of your set will be...?
If someone crowd surfed that would definitely be a highlight.
5. Where will we be likely to find you after your set: at the bar, on the beach, stuffing fish n chips, or other?
We've got three gigs that day so if its after one of the first two shows then we'll just be getting ready for the next gig. l'm well up for a pint and fish and chips on the beach after the third gig though.
6. Aside from building sand(-or probably more pebble-)castles on the beach with your little bucket and spade, what else will you be up to in Brighton?
Hopefully seeing my sister and wandering around the Lanes.
7. Who else playing at TGE are you hoping to see yourself, or would recommend others should put on their must see list?
Warmduscher, Breathe Panel, The Magic Gang, The Go! Team, Husky Loops, 77:78, Peaness, Himalayas, Anna Burch, Kojey Radical and beyond!
8. Please give your festival appearance/s, venues and stage times.
We're playing three sets on Thursday: for BBC Wales at Latest Music Bar at 12.00pm, Patterns 9.15pm and we're also performing on Dr Martens Stage at 2pm.
9. Any tips for festival goers?
My mate Bernie used to hide his booze in a melon at festivals. He said it always worked. Do that.
10. Complete this sentence: "You must see us at The Great Escape because...
(Questions answered by vocalist/guitarist Davey Newington)
Track Boy Azooga on Facebook
The Great Escape takes place at various venues across Brighton between May 17 - 19. Click here for further information.