Monday, October 01, 2018

Best new tracks Down Under #39




With the vibrant indie music scene in Australia and New Zealand constantly outshining much of the output from their British and American cousins, Little Indie picks our weekly bunch of some of the best new tracks on offer.


CLOVE - SOBER


Brooding emo meets 90s alt-rock on the new emotional single from the Melbourne five-piece. The heartfelt, guitar driven ballad with its lyrics of sadness and angst are comforted by a soothing alt-rock underlay, which gradually builds up towards the track's high intensity chorus. "I found out my mum had cancer," says singer Mark Jamieson. "The time after left me quite numb, I did a fair bit of drinking and avoiding the topic...I felt hollow. but I wanted to feel the fear and the sadness with my family for my mum."
Facebook




TWIN CAVERNS - REGRET


Hypnotic new single from the Sydney trio - Michael Macias, Chuffy Smith, Lou Millar - combing atmospheric layers of instrumentation - including flute - with Millar's haunting vocal. The group explains the song “takes place in that sweet spot somewhere between night and morning, and is about a gathering of nice ghosts, timelessly commiserating lost love and wrongdoing.”
Facebook




CONTENDERS - TEENAGE CRYBABY


Hamilton, NZ punk rock five-piece follow their February 'REACT' EP with this punchy banger, released on September 22. Taken from their forthcoming debut album, it comes in under two and a half minutes, firing a catchy onslaught of guitar hooks against frontwoman Cilla's feisty vocal delivery.
Facebook




SHORELINES - WORRY ABOUT YOURSELF


Having racked up over 1 million Spotify streams, the Brisbane pop-punks are back with their first single since last December, taken from their forthcoming second EP 'Blank Pages & Broken Records', released on October 5. They describe the track as "our rock anthem from our side of negative and unnecessary conflict, explaining that we will keep creating our own path the way we feel is right for us, and that others should just focus on themselves."
Facebook




JACK GRAY - MY HANDS


Third single by 20-year-old singer, songwriter and producer from North Queensland, following last year's breakout 'Red Rental Car'. The upbeat pop-electronica number bounces along on an infectious groove, while lyrically, says Gray, "it is quite dark. I had a close friend of mine open up to me about his new partner and their relationship. He told me he wasn’t convinced she was the one...yet something was keeping him invested in her. Basically, I conceptualised the idea of sexual benefits outweighing the unhealthy relationship. I don’t know why but I instantly latched onto the idea of an optimistic point of view towards a negative situation. I made the production feel quite light-hearted and upbeat to immediately set the tone of optimism and good vibes."
Facebook

No comments:

Post a Comment