Thursday, July 19, 2018

Listen :: The 1975 premiere new track 'Love It If We Made It'





Words: Ali Mack

The 1975 premiered new track 'Love It If We Made It' today (July 19) on Zane Lowe's Beats 1 show. It’s the second track to come from the band’s forthcoming album out in October - 'A Brief Inquiry Into Online Relationships'.

Discussing the song's lyrics with Lowe, frontman Matty Healy explains the reference to Lil Peep, who died last November at the age of 21 (“Rest in peace Lil Peep / The poetry is in the streets / Jesus saves us!/ Modernity has failed us”):

"I’m saying Rest In Peace Lil Peep. He is very on the nose regardless of what you think of them as artists or people. With XXX and with Lil Peep. The thing that was happening in that movement regardless of what you think of it musically I felt like it was the closest thing that this generation has to a kind of Punk. It definitely felt important, whatever it is. And those two people are dead now just like that. They’re just dead. And I’m saying Rest In Peace Lil Peep.

"If you want to go and talk about big Pharma and pharmaceutical companies and overprescription of drugs. Yeah of course … of course that’s definitely played a part in it but that’s not what I’m saying. I’m saying that other points in the song. I’m saying lot of things … I’m saying a lot of individual things but the fact is is that all of these things nuclear they’re radioactive.

"It’s probably the best place to put it is in a song because you can let it finish and go … OK well I can’t react to a song so I’ll just listen to it again and then see if I get the same reaction is as opposed to like it’s an opinion on Twitter where you can go “hey, fuck you” we will never. It’s not opinionated. It provides what is happening."

There's also a nail in to Kanye West and Donald Trump in the lyrics: “Tell me something I didn’t know / Consultation degradation fossil fueling masturbation immigration liberal kitsch kneeling on a pitch / ‘I moved on her like a bitch!!’/ Excited to be indicted / Unrequited house with seven pools / Thank you Kanye, very cool!/War has been incited and guess what you’re all invited.”

Listen to it all below.

No comments:

Post a Comment