Monday, August 13, 2018

Track Of The Day :: Sahara Beck - Here We Go Again




Words: Linn Branson

Stunning Brisbane indie pop chanteuse Sahara Beck made her impressive entrance as an 18-year-old with 'Brother Sister' in 2014. Now she is back with a new single, ‘Here We Go Again’, released last Friday (August 10).

The track is the first to come from sessions recorded in Los Angeles over last winter with renown Sydney producer Tony Buchen (Mansionair, Courtney Barnett, Montaigne), now based in the US.

On this first release since her 2016 album 'Panacea', she describes ‘Here We Go Again’ as "a love letter to myself. I thought I should write one just for me for a change. It’s saying you should love others, but don’t let anyone drag you down or suck the good energy out of you. In the past, I’d spent so much of my time chasing love, chasing so many things actually! I realised I didn’t need anyone else to make me happy anymore. Instead, I could spend that time becoming the person I’ve always wanted to be.”

The person she wants to be might appear to be a writer and singer who can turn out songs like this that fly high above most else currently in the genre. Quite a different kettle of fish from her 2016 slow-burn single 'Here It Comes', this time round Sahara is vocally sharper, more powerful; still with the same electrifying presence that she has always conveyed, but harnessed here over an impeccable production of punchy drums, crushing piano notes and choral samples, as her voice soars over lyrical girl power lines: “What a beautiful life / I’m not a slave to love no more / better than I was before."

With a whole batch of songs under her belt from the LA sessions, we luckily will have plenty more to come from Ms Beck in the near future.

No comments:

Post a Comment