Monday, October 14, 2019

Super Marine Sing & Tell on their debut single, big plans, big tours & this weekend's Swn Festival


Credit: Bethan Miller


Hailing from Blackwood, South Wales,
Super Marine are a supercharged power pop-rock four-piece who have just released their debut single, 'Decadent Flowers', on October 4, described by BBC Radio Wales' Adam Walton as having "heart, soul and integrity – there is nothing dull about this track. It’s dead, dead good.”

Who are you? 

I'm Rhys Davis, I sing and play guitar in Super Marine. The rest of the band are Matt Davies on guitar, Dan Barrell on bass and Jay Price on drums.

Tell us something about yourself and how you came to be where you are today.

Super Marine are based in Blackwood, South Wales. Myself and Jay have been playing music together for years. I had written a bunch of songs and wanted to put a band together but needed to find the right guys. I found an ad for a bassist and gave Dan a call, and Matt was recommended to me by a friend. We all hit it off straight away so there's a great atmosphere in the band.

Give us an idea of your musical style and influences.

I'd describe our music as indie-rock, with big singalong choruses and loud guitars. Influences are vast within the band, but I personally have been influenced by bands like Police, U2, Kings of Leon, Jeff Buckley, Beck and loads more.

Explain the production and writing process behind your songs.

The process begins for me in my studio. I'll write the song and bring it in to show the guys, from there we finalize the parts and take it to the studio. We've been working with Rich Jackson and once we feel a song is ready we take it to Rich and take his suggestions on board to come out with the best result.

Tell us a little about your new single.

'Decadent Flowers' is a song I wrote after watching the film Drive. It has a very neo-noir vibe about it which I love and I was inspired by the themes and use of lighting and colour, so I put it into my own words. It's probably my favourite song I've written so far.



Can we catch up with you at any forthcoming live shows?

We've got plenty of shows coming up:

SŵN FESTIVAL, CARDIFF - Saturday 19th October 2019

FUEL ROCK CLUB, CARDIFF - Saturday 27th October 2019

HANGAR 18, SWANSEA - Friday 8th November 2019

McCANN'S ROCK N ALE BAR, NEWPORT - Friday 22nd November 2019

THE PATRIOT, CRUMLIN - Friday 29th November 2019

How's the remainder of the year looking, plans-wise?

We have big plans for the future! We like to work in advance, so the follow up is ready to go when we are but we're already looking at going back into the studio to get some more tracks under our belt. We're also planning a UK tour too - which I can't wait for.

Where can we hear more of your music?

You can find us on all major streaming and music platforms including Spotify, SoundCloud and iTunes.

What social media platforms can we find you on?

Facebook // Instagram // Twitter

No comments:

Post a Comment