Tuesday, January 14, 2020

Track Of The Day :: Humanist - Shock Collar (feat Dave Gahan)





Words: Linn Branson 

Widely regarded as one of the country's finest guitarists, Rob Marshall, formerly with the now defunct Exit Calm, has set up his own solo project called Humanist.

From the Humanist incoming self-titled debut album, out on February 21, comes 'Shock Collar' featuring the guest vocals of Depeche Mode's Dave Gahan. As one would expect, teaming electrifying guitar mastery with one of the best known of dynamic band vocalists, makes for a riveting experience.

“It was a pleasure to be asked to be a part of Rob’s Humanist project,” states Gahan. “Mark Lanegan asked me, and I liked the idea immediately. It’s a beast! I went for the vocal, with the visual of driving fast on an empty highway. We shot the video over a couple of days in New York, and it all came together.”

The album also includes tracks featuring the vocals of Mark Lanegan (Queens Of The Stone Age), Mark Gardener (Ride), Carl Hancock Rux (David Holmes, Portishead), John Robb (The Membranes), Joel Cadbury (UNKLE), Ilse Maria, Ron Sexsmith and Jim Jones (The Jim Jones Revue, Thee Hypnotics).

“I can sing a little, and I do sing on some of the tracks, and I’ve written some of the singing parts, too, but I’ve always preferred the art of collaboration,” Marshall comments. “I had this daft ‘wish list’ of vocalists I’d always loved, which I passed to my manager, along with some early demos. … To my surprise, nearly all of them said yes, and it was an enthusiastic yes too. I was blown away - I still am - to be working with some of my musical heroes”.

Listen to 'Shock Collar' below via the visuals directed by Derrick Belcham and Tracy Maurice - and you can catch Humanist live on tour in March.



Live dates 

MARCH
23 Sunflower Lounge, Birmingham
24 The Lexington, London
25 Sheffield Picture House, Sheffield
26 Nice N Sleazy, Glasgow
27 Riverside 2, Newcastle
28 Soup Kitchen, Manchester
29 Prince Albert, Brighton

No comments:

Post a Comment