Friday, March 27, 2015

Interview :: Freddie Dickson




Interview: Freddie Dickson

Words: Pollyanna Sheehan


Freddie Dickson has not conformed to a certain mode or style, but his distinctive vocals, brooding and emotionally wrenching style have been earning him praise across the board in the last 12 months as one of the best of the new crop of emerging talent. Now, as he prepares to head off on the road as part of the upcoming Communion New Faces Tour, we stopped him for a quick chat about how he is enjoying his journey so far, and what we can expect from him on this tour.

Hi, Freddie. Thanks for having a chat. To start at the beginning, more or less, how long have you been writing and how does the songwriting process occur for you?
I have probably been writing songs since I was about 16. I wouldn't say there is a specific "process" but generally it will stem from a vocal hook that I will record on my phone and then I'll try and match it to a concept that I feel suits the tone of that particular melody.

How have things changed for you since you have been signed?
The main difference is that I get to work in a studio that's not my bedroom, which is great, as I love having somewhere to go so as to avoid any cabin fever. I guess the best part is being able to concentrate solely on writing songs and having someone else to book your shows and organise recording sessions for you.

Your music is being described as ‘doom-pop’, and it’s earning comparisons to artists like Lana Del Rey. If you had to describe your sound in 5 words - what would they be?
Erm...intense, dark, catchy, visceral, dramatic.



When listening to your music, one key element that stands out for me is how well-crafted and emotive the lyrics are. What influences do you draw upon or try to channel when writing?
I'm very interested in people and their actions and reactions towards life. I often tend to write about mentalities rather than physical occurrences. I find the human psyche really fascinating.

You have said that songwriting is something you find very cathartic and that you spend a lot of time on each song, which comes first for you: lyrics or melody? Secondly, how long does it take you from that initial spark?
I'd definitely say the melody. Once I have that and the concept then I will sit down and write everything I can about that particular subject and then work on shaping the best lyrical ideas around the melody.

Your debut EP ‘Shut Us Down’ received universal acclaim on its release last year. Is there always a worry or added pressure after delivering something that good, that you won’t be able to replicate it?
I think the more you worry the worse it will be. If I look at my job requirement its basically to write good songs or stop and find something else. If I think like this then I’ll just stunt any creativity. I think experimenting with different styles and sounds is important to keep your work interesting, especially in the pop world.

Your new single ‘Speculate’ is particularly upbeat and uses more guitar and drums than some of your previous material. Is this the direction that your music is heading in?
I guess it's a bit more band-based now yes but I wouldn't say this is the staple sound to expect from me. With this album I'm trying to create a dynamically interesting body of work. The idea of having "filler" terrifies me! The sound is definitely more "live" than my first E.P though.

What part of the Communion New Faces Tour are you looking forward to the most?
I'm really excited about this. It's a lot more stripped down than our usual live set so I'm looking forward to playing around with my songs in different styles and the challenge of trying to keep it interesting. It will be fun to hang out with three other artists on the road as well.



As your music is pretty atmospheric, how important are visual effects to your live performances, and can fans expect this element to be included in the upcoming shows?
I would love to get involved in visuals but right now we are solely focused on making the songs sound great live. Also we don't really have the budget for anything grandiose so I’d rather do nothing at all than a half-hearted attempt at moody lighting.

What are you looking forward to the most this year - be it a particular performance, or a goal you hope to achieve?
Finishing the album and doing some festivals in the summer.

Which do you prefer - playing live shows, recording or the writing aspect of the process?They all have their own thrills but nothing beats playing live.

What’s your favourite thing to be doing when you’re not busy writing or playing?
I'm really interested in food so I love to cook or I like drinking Guinness and watching football in the pub.

We understand that Neil Young and Bob Dylan are two of your heroes. How would you feel if either asked you to join him on a duet, and which songs would you choose to perform, if given the opportunity?
I think that's the hardest music question I've ever been asked! Can I duet with both? If so then I’d sing 'Unknown Legend' with Neil and 'I Shall Be Released' with Bob.


Communion’s biannual ‘New Faces’ tour takes next month, opening on April 20 in Liverpool and finishing on the 29th in Bristol. Taking part are some of the most hotly tipped emerging artists of the moment: Frances, Tenterhook, Charlotte OC and, of course, Freddie Dickson. The tour will feature a rotating bill, giving each artist a chance to headline at least one show.

Frances will bring her unique brand of ambient piano-based pop to the tour, whilst Tenterhook (aka Archie Faulks) will be delivering his take on indie/folk. Following these two, Charlotte OC will treat fans to her sultry and seductive brand of upbeat singer/songwriter fun, and Freddie will soothe fans with an atmospheric set based around his intense and emotive singer-songwriter ballads.


Tickets and details of line-up for each date can be found here.

Tour Dates

April
20. East Village Arts Club, Liverpool
22. Brudenell Games Room, Leeds
23. Ruby Lounge, Manchester
24. The Bullingdon Arms, Oxford
27. Sticky Mike’s, Brighton
28. St Stephen’s Church, London
29. The Louisiana, Bristol

No comments:

Post a Comment