Saturday, December 19, 2015

Track Of The Day :: WAAX - Holy Sick




Words: Sam Geary

Blowing a hurricane through Brisbane, pop punks WAAX continue to exude a riotous presence on the Oz music scene, as can be gleaned via the bedlam-infused live video for debut EP - which dropped in October - title track and single cut, 'Holy Sick'.

Led by frontwoman Marie DeVita, the five-piece band - who emerged earlier this year -  end 2015 with this video shot a few weeks ago at their final headline show at Black Bear Lodge.

Fast, frenetic and fierce, DeVita describes 'Holy Sick' thus:

"This song makes me want to punch walls. Lyrically, I was angry as shit for this one. I remember writing it in my dodgy apartment after getting fed up with Abbott. I'm particularly pissed about the immigration situation and I'm ready to kick a door in. At the time I was exploring the themes of 'Slactivism' at art school, as in 'keyboard warriors'... people who makes themselves out to be heroes, but are sitting on their arses 95% of the time. I feel like music is a powerful vehicle for political dialogue, but I wanted to do it in a way that was somewhat ambiguous. This song's main hook that I want to drive home is 'something's not right here'. I'm hoping the listener engages with this line particularly, because I guess it can be applied to anything."

No comments:

Post a Comment