Continuing our Great Escape festival artist previews, today we take time out with Beach Baby.
London-based four-piece Beach Baby, whose transatlantic, dreamy mix sounds was brought together via Athens, Dorset and Sheffield, met at Goldsmiths College when co-vocalists Ollie and Lawrence placed an advert looking to add to their then folk-driven duo. Future bassist Iraklis turned up dressing like a 50s freshman (and swiftly got the gig), before the addition of drummer Shep rounded off the elements of US grunge, post-punk and 60s pop that would define Beach Baby.
1. First time at TGE?
First time was last year, baby: was a dream come true to play.
2. Are you a seasoned Escaper as a punter, or a first-time newbie?'
We're all sophomores, so it's all quite new.
3. Will you be a Brighton day-tripper or staying for the whole event?
We'll hang a bit, absolutely - we'll be there all of Thursday and Friday.
4. The highlight of your set will be...?
Not sure quite yet, but we've got some epic/proggy jams prepared that always go down well in a restricted 30-min festival environment!
5. Where will we be likely to find you after your set: at the bar, on the beach, stuffing fish 'n' chips, or other?
Probably a bit of everything. Some beers then a walk on the pier, and off to the chippy before bed.
6. Aside from building sandcastles on the beach with your little bucket and spade, what else will you be up to in Brighton?
Isn't the beach pebbled in Brighton? I once bought a cool organ off a bloke who lived in the Lanes a couple of years ago, maybe I'll pay him a visit.
7. Who else playing at TGE are you hoping to see yourself, or would recommend others should put on their must see list?
Oooh, I'm not so good with new bands (don't know that many) but I'd def say Babeheaven, Willie J Healey, and Blaenavon 'cos they're chums who we've toured with. My wild card would be The Big Moon, who I hear are really good live.
8. Where and when can we catch you at the festival?
Horatio's on the pier Thursday night @ 9:15pm.
9. Any tips for festival goers?
Enjoy yourself and drink plenty of water.10. Complete this sentence: "You must see us at The Great Escape because..."
We're a pretty escapist bunch.
(Questions answered by co-vocalist Ollie Pash.)
Track Beach Baby on FACEBOOK
The Great Escape takes place at various venues across Brighton between May 19 - 21. Click here for further information.