Photo: Ste Murray
Continuing our Great Escape festival artist previews, today we take time out with Otherkin.
Dublin's Otherkin released their debut EP last October, 'The 201'. Two tracks, ‘Ay Ay’ and ‘Feel It', have enjoyed extensive airplay from Annie Mac, Phil Taggart and Huw Stephens at Radio One. Latest single 'Yeah, I Know' was released earlier this month, and is taken from their upcoming EP ‘The New Vice’, out June 17. Known for their raucous live shows and blistering rock 'n' roll, they make their Great Escape debut this year.
1. First time at TGE?
First time, yeah. We’re gonna be popping that sweet Great Escape cherry. Brighton’s a deadly town, we were there in December playing a show in the Hope and Ruin and we’re looking forward to being there again in the sun.
2. Are you a seasoned Escaper as a punter, or a first-time newbie?'
3. Will you be a Brighton day-tripper or staying for the whole event?
We’ve got a few shows that weekend so we’re gonna stick around ‘til Saturday. We’re beach, babes and bangers ‘n’ mash kinda guys and we hear Brighton’s got the best in the biz.
4. The highlight of your set will be...?
We’ve been playing some newer songs recently that have been going down a treat, so keep an ear out for this. But really the entire set will be a highlight reel; we like to keep the action and energy up throughout so that you don’t have a moment to think about what was your favourite bit.
5. Where will we be likely to find you after your set: at the bar, on the beach, stuffing fish 'n' chips, or other?
You’ll probably find us at a bar on the beach, stuffing our faces with fish n chips!
6. Aside from building sandcastles on the beach with your little bucket and spade, what else will you be up to in Brighton?
We’re really looking forward to taking advantage of the festival itself, and checking out as many great new bands as we can find the time to see. But no doubt at least one of us will end up buried in the sand over the weekend.
7. Who else playing at TGE are you hoping to see yourself, or would recommend others should put on their must see list?
There’s so many amazing acts playing this year, but from a quick look at the line-up: Vant, White, Clean Cut Kid and Little Hours. We’ve shared a stage with all these bands and they all killed it.
8. Where and when can we catch you at the festival?
We play the Latest Music Bar for Artrocker at 8:30pm on Thursday night, and then the Prince Albert at 1:15pm on Friday afternoon.
9. Any tips for festival goers?
Have a few cheeky drinks by the beach and come get wild in the front row with us.10. Complete this sentence: "You must see us at The Great Escape because..."
You'll want to be part of the riot.
Track Otherkin on FACEBOOK
The Great Escape takes place at various venues across Brighton between May 19 - 21. Click here for further information.