Friday, July 13, 2018

NZ's Dead Little Penny return with the personal 'U 4 Me'


Credit: Rodney Fisher



Words: Ellie Ward

Little Indie first heard Auckland, New Zealand electro/shoegaze two-piece Dead Little Penny (Hayley Smith and Simon Buxton) a few months ago with their moody and hypnotic 'Honeycomb'.

They return now with its follow-up, the introspective 'U 4 Me', released today (July 13) - a deeply personal work penned by Hayley in 2013. Once again, the intense electro beat filtered through with ethereal synth and fuzzed out bass, is made more potent by the spine-tingling vocals that deliver the heartfelt lyrics.

“I wrote this song probably in what I would say the most challenging and low points of my life," Hayley reveals. "In my 20s, facing a divorce and a complete life change, I sat perched on the end of the spare bed at my mum’s house, and really got down to business and pulled out all my uncomfortable feelings.

"Basically, I felt like a total failure at life and love and I really needed to dig deep to look at that from a songwriting perspective. I’ve waited a few years to bring this out, and it just feels like the right time now."

Dead Little Penny's debut album, 'Urge Surfing', is due for release later this year.

No comments:

Post a Comment