Friday, April 05, 2019

Plastic Mermaids tell us: ‘I Still Like Kelis’





Words: Sam Geary 

Plastic Mermaids follow up recent singles revealed from their forthcoming debut album  ‘1996’ and the psychedelic-pop ‘Floating in a Vacuum’, with new single ‘I Still Like Kelis’.

With the self-produced ‘Suddenly Everyone Explodes’ out on May 24 via Sunday Best Recordings, the Isle of Wight-based group drop the new hazy indie-pop number, full of crunchy guitars and distorted synths, along with a video.

‘I’m not sure how I let myself get sucked into the idea of stop motion again," says the Mermaids' Doug Richards. "The video took bloody AGES to make but I guess I enjoyed it, there’s something quite meditative about sitting down for 4 hours and pushing about a piece of clay it’s just a bit demoralising when you realise you’ve only shot 14 seconds."

Watch the video for 'I Still Like Kelis' below.



Live dates 

APRIL
21 Stockton Calling, Stockton
MAY
10 The Great Escape, Brighton
29 Pie & Vinyl, Portsmouth
30 Rough Trade East Album Launch Party, London
JUNE
02 The Great Estate, Cornwall
04 Rough Trade Bristol, Bristol
AUGUST
09 Boardmasters, Cornwall
25 Victorious, Portsmouth
SEPTEMBER
14 Tapnell Farm, Isle of Wight
18 The Georgian Theatre. Stockton
20 Clwb Ifor Bach, Cardiff
21 Patterns, Brighton
23 The Bodega, Nottingham
24 Think Tank?, Newcastle
25 Hug & Pint, Glasgow
26 YES (Pink Room), Manchester
28 Hyde Park Book Club, Leeds
30 The Sunflower Lounge, Birmingham
OCTOBER
01 Crofters Rights, Bristol
02 The Bullingdon, Oxford
03 Scala, London

No comments:

Post a Comment