Thursday, May 02, 2019

The Polarity get into their 'Skinny Jeans' as they Sing & Tell





Originally a solo endeavour that began in 2014 by vocalist/rhythm guitarist Taylor Hearne, The Polarity - now a Texas-based indie rock quartet - follow
last year's second album, 'Sugarcoat', with sparkly, guitar-led new single 'Skinny Jeans'.



Who are you?

I'm Taylor Hearne, lead singer and rhythm guitar player for the band. I also write all the lyrics for our music. Then lead guitarist Ethan Ditthardt, bassist Tyler Kysar, and drummer Taylor Goode.

Tell us something about yourself and how you came to be where you are today

I've lived in the Dallas/Fort Worth area my whole life. In high school is where I met my current producer/studio owner Ben Barnett. We used to be in a punk rock band in high school together. That was really what got me interested in music and performance. I still work with Ben today, he's kinda the unofficial member of the band.

Give us an idea of your musical style and influences.

I grew up loving all of kinds of music, and I still listen to all kinds of music to this day. My dad only listened to classic rock/disco music, my mom listened to show tunes, and my only brother listened to Coldplay pretty exclusively. Some of my favorite artists growing up were The Beatles, Coldplay, The Bee Gees, Queen, Elton John, ELO, and Weezer. Even though I was raised by classic rock/R&B, when I grew up and started to venture out, I found that I loved the indie rock sound. An artist called From Indian Lakes really set me up to where I am today. He really impressed me, and his music was something that I wanted to play live and create the likes of.

Explain the production and writing process behind your songs.

It's not super complicated honestly, I normally just play guitar and once I discover something that sounds cool, I'll record it in Logic Pro X. Then I start forming a demo that I send to the rest of the band and Ben, and then we all come together in the studio and write our own parts that we hear. Once we get the instrumentation of the song down, that's when I start to write the lyrics.

Tell us a little about your new single.

After the release of our last album, I was pretty creatively drained. It took months for me to start creating again, and whenever I did, all of the songs I was making sounded terrible. After some time, I heard this vocal melody that I really liked ("Could yah, could yah") and started to play guitar to the chorus I was hearing in my head. The song came together really quickly and once I showed the rest of the boys, they all agreed we needed to record it. This is one of the rare occasions that I actually wrote the lyrics before we made it to the studio. To keep it simply, 'Skinny Jeans' is about the joys of a new relationship. You find yourself attracted to some feature of a person, and then you want to pursue that person. In this case, it's the skinny jeans that attracted me to this person.



Can we catch up with you at any forthcoming live shows?

We are playing a couple shows with Hearts Like Lions/Sundressed while they're in Texas. You can catch us in Denton at Killer's Tacos on May 5. You can also see us in Austin at Come and Take It Live on May 8 with them as well. Later in the month we'll have a show in Fort Worth on May 28 with some of our studio mates Select A Bonus and Meach Pango at Lola's Trailer Park. We have a few more shows coming up later in the summer but we are waiting to announce them because they're pretty cool.

How's the year looking, plans-wise?

Because the other band mates are in school full-time, it's really hard to get together and do things as Polarity. So during the summers we play a lot more shows, and this particular summer we're going to be recording our next album. More details on that later.

Where can we hear more of your music?

You can find us literally anywhere, on Spotify, Apple Music, Soundcloud, Bandcamp, Tidal, etc. Anything you can think of!

What social media platforms can we find you on?

Facebook // Instagram

No comments:

Post a Comment