Tuesday, June 09, 2020

Best new tracks Down Under #23





With the vibrant indie music scene in Australia and New Zealand constantly outshining much of the output from their British and American cousins, Little Indie picks our weekly bunch of some of the best new tracks on offer.


HIGH SCHOOL - FROSTING


Debut single for Melbourne duo High School, Rory and Lilli, released this week. The two and a half minute track encompasses an hypnotic pulsing beat, along with driving guitars, and lo-fi vocal from Rory.
Facebook




INTRODUCTION - RED LIGHT


Taken from the self-titled EP 'Introduction', out June 19 through Tenth Court, the first single from Adelaide three-piece Introduction. Their Google-prohibitive name and lack of any social media may not do much for Harriet Fraser-Barbour (Workhorse, Fair Maiden, Wireheads, Ripple Effect Band), Elena Nees (Allume, Rex Wonderful & The Silk Sheets) and Lauren Abineri (Waterbear, JEM), but this minimalist, dream-pop slowburner adorned with Harriet's airy vocals, is worth a listen. “I guess it’s about the ways in which anxiety can fill your body, the ways in which it can distort time, the ways it can literally freeze you," she imparts.




SHOMA - BETTER STRANGERS

Credit: Leon Smith

"I simply make weird music, metal influenced electronic. Though when I started producing it was all dance music," says Shehan Senaratna, aka Shoma, the electronic metal artist from Melbourne, who kicks up an intriguing fusion of sounds on 'Better Strangers'. [It] was originally written about someone else who I used to know really well. It was originally written with a real hateful intent but as time went on and I continued working on it, emotions faded and I started to wonder if I was actually writing about myself. So I guess you could say that I’m not sure if it really is about the other person or myself."
Facebook




MAJAK DOOR - EVERYBODY WANTS YOU


Written by frontman Frankie Vakalis and recorded at Alamo Studios with Daniel Caswel, ‘Everybody Wants You’ is Melbourne indie-surf rockers Majak Door's progression on their slacker rock sound, released this week. The upbeat track, flowing last autumn's 'Shotgun' is driven by twanging guitars and psychedelic styled vocals.
Facebook




PORCELAIN BOY - DULL GIRL


New Sydney duo Porcelain Boy, Jordan Olyslagers and Jordyn Grant, make their entrance with this debut single. Hitting the dancefloor running, the punchy rave-pop tune is fuelled by vibrating synths and a deep-vocalled delivery. "There’s a difficult line between indulging in a moment, and accepting the fact that all good things are terminal," they say on the single. "It’s hard to not let the latter spoil that which has not yet come to pass. It’s a sorry predicament that is a little too familiar to the bulk of the people we know, where by fearing the end, they manifest it."
Facebook




NAVVY - PIECES

Credit: Lula Cucchiara

Auckland, NZ musician NAVVY follows the release her EP ‘No Hard Feelings’ earlier in the year with this shimmering new single, 'Pieces'. A pulsing pop gem with sharp production quality honing beats, vocoder and disco-tracked rhythms. "It was a messed up time in my life, but now I simply feel lucky to have loved so hard that losing it felt so horrible," she says, reflecting on the break-up that came to inspire the song. "I wrote it with Starsmith and Rory Adams in London in 2019, and it was my first ever overseas writing session. I remember going in and talking about how it felt like trauma had really broken me. Not just my heart, but my body too, and that I had been worried I wouldn’t find all of the pieces. This song is a really important memory of a really significant moment of my life for me."
Facebook

No comments:

Post a Comment