Monday, May 28, 2018

Sing & Tell :: THE FEENS


Credit: Lucy Fletcher


After forming in September 2016, THE FEENS (formerly known as Empire) have since set out gigging extensively in the local area and building up a following since their live debut in June last year, and catching the attention of BBC Introducing North Yorkshire where they were invited to perform a live session. They released their debut single 'Wrong Move' last October. Their follow-up, 'Slip Away', is out on June 20.


Who are you? 

I'm Freddie and I play guitar and sing with THE FEENS. Then we have Adam (bass and vocals), Perrie (drums) and Sam (lead guitar).

Tell us something about yourself and how you came to be where you are today? 

I've played guitar since I was about 15 (I'm 20 now) and always wanted to be in a band since school but never thought I'd ever get the chance to. Myself and Perrie have known each other for years but I never knew he played drums before starting the band! We all live in Scarborough and spend most of our time rehearsing in my dad's garage.

Give us an idea of your musical style and influences.

Personally, my musical style and influences are pretty widescreen I'd say - I'll give anything a chance. But mainly my influences range from The Beatles through to Oasis and everything in between. I think Arctic Monkeys, Oasis, The Who and Miles Kane made me want to be in a band, and then when I saw bands like Blossoms, Courteeners and Catfish, I thought I'd have a go at writing songs and thinking it's possible to get somewhere with it. I think that's because I saw a bit of myself in them as people. I'm taking a lot of inspiration from a band called Neon Waltz at the moment. Their debut album's a masterpiece.

Explain the production and writing process behind your songs.

Me and Adam write the tunes, we're both on lead vocals so for example, I sang on our first single and Adam on 'Slip Away'. When I write I'll get the base of the song done on acoustic and take it into the garage where everyone's parts go on it and chop and change parts until we're happy with it. I think it's the same process with Adam too.

Tell us a little about your new single.

Our new single is called 'Slip Away' and will be released on June 20th. We recorded it at The Nave in Leeds with the legend that is Tom Orrell. We're dead happy with it and confident in it too. I'd say its a pretty simple rock/pop tune that people can sing along too. We haven't tried to reinvent the wheel, I think it's best sometimes to just stick to the classic structure. You can't beat a big chorus.



Can we catch up with you at any forthcoming live shows?

You can catch us at Barnsley Live on the 16th June and at Yorkshire Coast Fest on the 21st July with the likes of Utah Saints and The Wedding Present on the bill.

How's the rest of the year looking, plans-wise?

We're back in the studio in August to do another single and getting as many gigs booked as we can - hopefully in the cities, although we do find it hard to get bookings with being from Scarborough!

Where can we hear more of your music?

Our debut single 'Wrong Move' is available on Spotify and Apple Music etc. along with a video for that tune on YouTube.

What social media platforms can we find you on? 

Twitter // Facebook // Instagram

No comments:

Post a Comment