Tuesday, April 28, 2020

Marsicans kick up a storm on new single 'Summery in Angus'


Credit: Sodium Films


Words: Sam Geary 

Out today (April 28), ‘Summery In Angus’ is Leeds' quartet Marsicans’ fourth track to be released of the year so far - and another from their debut album ‘Ursa Major’, set for release on August 14.

“'Summery in Angus' was written around the time when the UK started naming storms and Storm Angus was all the rage," explains frontman James Newbigging. "I was indoors wearing an over-the-top summery shirt and shorts, whilst it was horrible outside. My girlfriend said, 'Look at you, all summery in Angus!' and that phrase seemed to resonate with me, despite it really not making that much sense at first glance.

"So, the song is about the two sides of yourself: the not-so-good side which, no matter what fun you're having, just clouds the back of your mind, and then the side which fights the bad thoughts and tries to keep you positive when everything seems to be going wrong. It's the inner fight between those two sides. It starts off referencing lines from a really old poem my Grandad used to tell me when I was younger. There seems to be various versions which go back a few hundred years, but the 'nonsense poem' always made me laugh, and I thought it summed up the opposing sides perfectly.”

Listen in below.



Live dates 

OCTOBER
14 Aberdeen Tunnels
15 Glasgow King Tut's
17 Manchester Gorilla
21 Bristol Thekla
22 London Scala
24 Leeds Beckett University

No comments:

Post a Comment