Sunday, November 30, 2014

Album Review :: King Gizzard & The Lizard Wizard - I’m In Your Mind Fuzz




King Gizzard & The Lizard Wizard

I’m In Your Mind Fuzz

December 1 2014 (Heavenly)

7.5/10

Words: Alison Mack


Crazy psych seven-piece Australian outfit, who seem to waste no time in turning out material - this being their fifth album since their debut '12 Bar Bruise' in 2012 - and 'I'm In Your Mind Fuzz' is no less a full on mind trip through a drone and Kraut-ridden ride of kaleidoscopic range.

Where they excel is on delivering three-minute melodic fuzz kernels, with those psyched-out guitar notes driving through with force. The first four tracks on the album - 'I'm In Your Mind', 'I'm Not In Your Mind', 'Cellophane', and 'I'm In Your Mind Fuzz' - are basically one long jam, which segue into one another until you are unsure where one ends and the next starts.

After screaming guitars, fierce bass lines and plenty of reverb, a change of pace comes on the bass driven, slower tempo of 'Empty', and 'Hot Water' which allows a brief respite on a wash of flutes and cymbals, before the seven-minute 'Am I In Heaven' brings us back into the staple Gizzard court of wah-wah and keyboard devilry.

The album reaches closure in a different space with the 60s-like harmonies and surf sound of  'Slow Jam I', on which the sweetly played guitar is finely balanced with Stu Mackenzie's vocal. Guitar and flute prevail on 'Satan Speeds Up', before 'Her & I (Slow Jam II)' concludes the record with a dreamlike solo of wah-guitars.

While the first half of the record works well, they lose a little cohesiveness in the latter stages, but for a dip of the needle in and out, 'I'm In Your Mind Fuzz' has just enough of the right fuzz to be cool.


No comments:

Post a Comment