Continuing our Great Escape festival artist previews, today we take time out with Girl Friend.
Manchester's Girl Friend made head way in 2014 with their debut EP 'Everyone Wants To Be Wanted' showing their take on creating lush electro synth-pop sounds built around lyrical themes of passion, desire and obsession and silky vocals.
1. First time at TGE?
First ever! We passed through Brighton on our tour last year, so excited to be back for TGE.
2. Are you a seasoned Escaper as a punter, or a first-time newbie?'
I’ve always wanted to go but somehow never found the time! Looking forward to wandering around and checking out the other venues/bands.
3. Will you be a Brighton day-tripper or staying for the whole event?
I think we’ll stick around an extra day to soak up the atmosphere and check out a few other acts.
4. The highlight of your set will be...?
The end! No, we’ll have to wait and see; each show is different. Personally, I enjoy it when our strobe light goes off – sends people crazy, in a good way.
5. Where will we be likely to find you after your set: at the bar, on the beach, stuffing fish 'n' chips, or other?
You’ve hit the nail on the head there; I’ll be doing all of those things, in that order. Hopefully, I’ll be passed out on the beach with a half-eaten fish on my head...hopefully.
6. Aside from building sandcastles on the beach with your little bucket and spade, what else will you be up to in Brighton?
Can you build sandcastles on Brighton beach? I thought it was all pebbles? Anyway, I’m looking forward to wandering down the promenade, checking out the vintage shops and drinking in some cool bars.
7. Who else playing at TGE are you hoping to see yourself, or would recommend others should put on their must see list?
Looking forward to seeing Blossoms, they’re playing after us. Also hoping to see Clean Cut Kid, Cupids, Ekkah and Oh Wonder.
8. Where and when can we catch you at the festival?
Concorde 2. 8:15 - Thursday 19th May.
9. Any tips for festival goers?
Check out as many bands as you can. Don’t throw a bottle at me.10. Complete this sentence: "You must see us at The Great Escape because..."
...I know this massive bloke in Brighton and he’ll rip your head off if you don’t. Also, the set’s going to be really good so it’d just be a shame if you didn’t. But mostly because of that massive bloke: his name's Steve.
(Questions answered by vocalist Amory.)
Track Girl Friend on FACEBOOK
The Great Escape takes place at various venues across Brighton between May 19 - 21. Click here for further information.