Continuing our Great Escape festival artist previews, today we take time out with VANT.
London garage rock four-piece VANT were formed in 2014 by Mattie Vant. The band came together in London, while Mattie was working at Dalston venue, Birthdays. Originally from Seaham, Mattie has played in various bands, formulating the style for VANT whilst living in Brighton. Drawing comparisons to The Strokes, MC5, Pixies, Queens of the Stone Age and DFA 1979, Vant use their music to express frustration and dissatisfaction with the state of the world, citing politically charged bands such as the Clash and Rage Against the Machine as inspirations.
1. First time at TGE?
As an artist? Yeah. We did the Alternative Escape last year.
2. Are you a seasoned Escaper as a punter, or a first-time newbie?'
Pretty seasoned, this is my 6th or 7th Great Escape, I think. Been going since I was a wee whipper-snapper.
3. Will you be a Brighton day-tripper or staying for the whole event?
Unfortunately, it's a whistle stop trip for us as we have gigs in Bradford and Leeds the following two days.
4. The highlight of your set will be...?
Probably 'Fly-By Alien' - it always seems to reach peak delirium around that point!
5. Where will we be likely to find you after your set: at the bar, on the beach, stuffing fish 'n' chips, or other?
Watching Spring King and then in the back of the van driving back to London!
6. Aside from building sandcastles on the beach with your little bucket and spade, what else will you be up to in Brighton?
You'd have a hard job building sandcastle on that beach - a neat pile of rocks is as close as you're going to get! I used to live there, so most probably catching up with some old friends.
7. Who else playing at TGE are you hoping to see yourself, or would recommend others should put on their must see list?
Band of Skulls, Black Honey, Bonzai, Chastity Belt, Clean Cut Kid, Day Wave, Dilly Dally, Eagulls, Formation, Get Inuit, Inheaven, Jagwar Ma,
Khurangbin, Kojey Radical, Let's Eat Grandma, Liss, Loyle Carner, Michael Kiwanuka, Milk Teeth, Mystery Jets, Pumarosa, Spring King, Teleman, The Big Moon, Tigercub, Yonaka.
8. Where and when can we catch you at the festival?
Patterns - Thursday 19th May: 20:30 - 21:00.
9. Any tips for festival goers?
If it's sunny, sit on the beach and play spot the band. If it's rainy, play how many bands can I possibly see in one weekend.10. Complete this sentence: "You must see us at The Great Escape because..."
The impending fate of mankind depends on it.
(Questions answered by vocalist/lead guitarist Mattie Vant.)
Track VANT on FACEBOOK
The Great Escape takes place at various venues across Brighton between May 19 - 21. Click here for further information.