Sunday, July 31, 2016

Listen :: Stream Thom Lion's debut EP 'Sleep Riots'




Words: Sam Geary

Released last Friday (July 29), 'Sleep Riots' is the debut EP from Adelaide's Thom Lion.

The five-track record, recorded at the Shed Studios in Melbourne with producer John Castle (Josh Pyke, Vance Joy), was written during a period in Lion's life that involved loss and sleepless nights, and covers his dealing with inner demons, is an emotive and compelling work, where piano and vocals tug at heart strings.

Stream 'Sleep Riots' below.

Little Indie recommended tracks:

'November':  "I wrote ‘November’ a few years ago at the tender age of 19," he recently told Tone Deaf. "Funnily enough it was written in the month of November. I was having a really tough month, we were dealing with a death in the family amongst some other things. Whenever there is flux going on in my life I get these full on night terrors and I was having them frequently during this time. So there's a bit of that in there too."
'Real Love': "‘Real Love’ is another woe is me love song. I was sitting at the piano one night and this one just spilt out. It’s a bit of a rant but then I had to finesse the words as we went along so they could fit inside the melody. We used John’s old upright piano and backed it with layers of Wurlitzers and organs. "

'Mess At Best': "I wrote the hook for ‘Mess At Best’ on my home piano a few years ago, didn’t touch it until a month out from recording and the words and song came out nice and easy. We almost didn’t record it but John told us to give it a crack. I then came back from Melbourne and scrapped the vocals, re-did them at home to get the vibe right. Its about sometimes being a mess, even when everything appears dandy – but pleading with your loved one that its part the package, good and bad."

More info: FACEBOOK



No comments:

Post a Comment