Wednesday, May 03, 2017
The Great Escape Artist Q+A :: SONS
Continuing our Great Escape festival artist previews of must-see acts, we next take time out with SONS.
Introduced here by Little Indie at the start of last year, Brighton two-piece SONS - brothers Lee (vocals/guitar/bass) and Nick (drums/backing vocals) Meldrum - have since gone on to release debut single ‘Reptiles’ and received radio airplay on Radio 1, 6 Music, Radio X and Amazing Radio amongst others. Their sound is loud and raw, mixing together a ferocious cocktail of punk, grunge and indie rock.
1. First time at TGE?
It is our first TGE. We're massively excited as we were meant to be playing the Alternative Escape last year but had to cancel when Lee's jaw was broken.
2. Are you a seasoned Escaper as a punter, or a first-time newbie?
Being Brighton lads we've been around TGE for years as punters. That's part of the reason actually that playing it this year is so special to us.
3. Will you be a Brighton day-tripper or staying for the whole event?
We're going to be around for the whole thing, definitely.
4. The highlight of your set will be...?
Hmm, that's a hard one but I'd say the highlight will be our song 'A Love Song?' It's being released the weekend of TGE so the shows will be like an unofficial single launch.
5. Where will we be likely to find you after your set: at the bar, on the beach, stuffing fish n chips, or other?
I have a cafe in Brighton so I'm going to be found working all the time I'm not playing! Nick, on the other hand, will be found getting very messy at all the best shows.
6. Aside from building sand(-or probably more pebble-)castles on the beach with your little bucket and spade, what else will you be up to in Brighton?
Pretty much the same answer as number 5!
7. Who else playing at TGE are you hoping to see yourself, or would recommend others should put on their must see list?
There are loads that we love and would recommend. Nova Twins are amazing. We're loving Blackwaters. Blood Red Shoes and Tigercub are going to be a highlight for me personally. But also the entire line-up of the Jack Rocks 7 are amazing and shouldn't be missed!
8. Please give your festival appearance/s, venues and stage times.
We are going to be playing The Queens hotel on Saturday, 20th, at 6.30pm and The Latest Music Bar later that night at 1.30am.
9. Any tips for festival goers?
Hmm...tips...Try and see as many bands as possible, don't get too drunk too early or you'll miss everything, and just be a good person: everyone is there to enjoy themselves.
10. Complete this sentence: "You must see us at The Great Escape because..."
...because our awesomeness is only rivalled by our egos, haha!
(Questions answered by Lee Meldrum)
Track SONS on FACEBOOK
The Great Escape takes place at various venues across Brighton between May 18 - 20. Click here for further information.