Thursday, March 15, 2018

Sing & Tell :: Josh Wheatley




Little Indie first heard Nottingham-based singer-songwriter Josh Wheatley three years ago when we were knocked out by his exquisite 'Close'. His first single for the year ‘I Know You’, which precedes his forthcoming EP, out on April 6, has already caught the attention of Radio X's John Kennedy, amongst others.


Who are you? 

My name is Josh Wheatley. I’m a songwriter/musician meaning I write all the songs then bring to my band who are Ben, Ollie, Amber and Nathanael. All very talented musicians.

Tell us something about yourself and how you came to be where you are today? 

I grew up on the outskirts of Nottingham, writing songs just for myself. Around the age of 16 I discovered the vibrancy of the city's music scene. This came in the form of D.I.D (Dog is Dead) who I saw play at the Rescue Rooms, having no idea who they were. Shortly after I started playing shows around the city.

Give us an idea of your musical style and influences.

I have a fascination with pop music. Making beats on a computer, with synth and bass parts. But I’ve always been into guitar; artists like Ben Howard instilled that in me. But then I heard sounds like The 1975, Two Door Cinema Club and fell in love with guitar-driven pop.

Explain the production and writing process behind your songs.

I normally tend to sit and write to myself. For me, writing is a continual thing, whether that’s making a beat or just sitting with an acoustic. It really varies.

Tell us a little about your new single.

'I Know You' came from nowhere really. It’s about telling yourself it’s ok to dream, to make mistakes.



Can we catch up with you at any forthcoming live shows?


I’m going on tour with New York Tourists in May, playing:

10th - Verve, Leeds.
12th - Wee Red Bar, Edinburgh.
13th - Zanzibar, Liverpool.
18th - Junction, Ashford.

How's the rest of the year looking, plans-wise?

At the moment I’m just taking it as it comes. Gathering a few festival dates here there and everywhere. Also lots more writing.

Where can we hear more of your music?

Spotify, Soundcloud, YouTube.

What social media platforms can we find you on? 


No comments:

Post a Comment