Thursday, June 07, 2018

Cullen Omori announces second solo album




Words: Sam Geary

Former Smith Westerns frontman Cullen Omori has announced the release of his second solo album, 'The Diet', which will be out on August 17 via Sub Pop.

Omori has also shared a new track from the record, 'Happiness Reigns', which was co-written with his girlfriend.

"Seldom are songs actually about the women in my life, but when I choose to write them I try to act in conspiracy with my ‘muse'," he outlines. "On 'Happiness Reigns' I was consciously trying to prevent the song from lyrically falling into this one-way ode to an idolized muse. Of course, some of my favourite artists like T-Rex or John Cale have albums chock full of them but my intention was never to be a rock classicist or to make something that was an extension of my influences. So, I had her write it with me. If I was going to write this about someone, even in vague terms, I thought it would be interesting to intertwine their perception of themselves and of our relationship."

Listen to  'Happiness Reigns' below.


No comments:

Post a Comment