Thursday, July 05, 2018

Sing & Tell :: Fanclub





Austin, Texas-based electronic dream-pop trio Fanclub release their debut single 'Leaves' on July 13.


Who are you?

I’m Leslie Crunkilton and I play guitar and sing with Fanclub. Mike Lee plays lead guitar and the magic button doo-dads, Daniel Schmidt plays drums.

Tell us something about yourself and how you came to be where you are today?

I grew up in Mississippi, and moved to Austin about six years ago. I started playing music and writing songs a few years after that. Mike and Daniel were playing in a band that was nearing its end and Mike wanted to start something fresh with a new voice. He connected with me after recently parting from my old band and we hit it off immediately.

Give us an idea of your musical style and influences.

Lo-fi indie pop is what made me feel like I could write and play music of my own. I loved the beautiful simplicity of Mirah’s songwriting. I was also listening to things like All Girl Summer Fun band and Cub when I started my first band The Dizzease. Mike has a ton of indie-pop influences like That Dog and Velocity Girl, but also a lot of electronic stuff like Alan Braxe and Boards of Canada.

Explain the production and writing process behind your songs.

Mike is the mastermind! He fully wrote most of the songs so far, and on a couple we have collaborated on vocals.

Tell us a little about your new single.

I sent Mike a song I wrote and recorded on my phone a few months before we started working together. At the same time he was working on a new idea for a song, and we just kind of smashed them together and bam! It all happened within a couple hours one day. We just kept sending ideas and revisions back and forth and ended up with 'Leaves'. The last year of my life has been a whirlwind of changes. 'Leaves' is about the process of figuring out how to keep myself grounded when things are particularly tumultuous.



Can we catch up with you at any forthcoming live shows?

Saturday July 28th at Mohawk Hot Summer Nights, Austin, Texas.

How's the rest of the year looking, plans-wise?

We are doing lots of writing right now so we will be recording and hitting studio work pretty hard. Hopefully will be able to release a few more songs before the year ends. Will play some local shows here and then in 2019 we'll start doing more extended tours.

Where can we hear more of your music?

Soundcloud and Bandcamp.

What social media platforms can we find you on?

Instagram // Facebook

No comments:

Post a Comment