Monday, August 06, 2018

Listen :: SPIES - Ho Chi Minh




Words: Ellie Ward

After last hearing from SPIES a couple of months ago with 'Uriah', they now air another new track prior to the release of their debut LP, 'Constancy', out on November 23.

'Ho Chi Minh', released last Friday (August 3), was the first song recorded for the album. As such, it perhaps resembles their earlier sound more than other tracks on the record. The inclusion of a KORG MS-20 and the subtle rumblings of a MOOG SubPhatty amongst the distorted guitars point to their evolving sound.

“I wrote the lyrics to 'Ho Chi Minh' when I was travelling in Vietnam with two friends," says singer Michael Broderick. "I started it one night when I had to sleep in the reception of a hostel because I was too late to check in. In a makeshift bed/leather couch with a towel as a blanket, I conjured up the first few lines of the song. The song is mainly about friendship and the carefree time the three of us shared together.”

Live dates

AUGUST
10 Dublin Workman's Club
13 London The Islington

No comments:

Post a Comment