Friday, March 15, 2019

Track Of The Day :: W.H. Lung - Second Death Of My Face





Words: Sam Geary

Manchester's W. H. Lung follow the ten-minute long 'Simpatico People' with the equally expansive 'Second Death Of My Face'. Both tracks are from their debut album 'Incidental Music', out on April 5 via Melodic Records.

With much of 'Second Death Of My Face' being developed on the piano at Manchester's Central Library, is a five and half minute shimmering synth epic, overlaid with Krautrock elements and soaring crescendos.

"I put down some nonsense for melody over an early draft and when I listened back it sounded like ‘my face, my face',
explains singer Joseph E. "The images that followed seemed filmic and the idea went from there. The chorus came to me as I fiddled on the piano in Central Library. It was big and unashamed and I was thinking of Bowie. My phone had died so I couldn’t record it as a voice note. I remember the panic of not wanting to lose the melody and of needing to try the idea out (out loud). I rushed home with my eyes half closed, singing it over and over in my head. It's about watching your own life lived."

Listen to the infectious stomper below.



Live dates

MAY
11 Liverpool, The Shipping Forecast
12 Leeds - Gold Sounds Festival
13 Glasgow, The Garage (Attic Bar)
14 Nottingham, Bodega
15 Brighton, Green Store Door
16 Bristol, The Louisiana
17 Southampton, Heartbreakers
18 London, Oslo
24-26 Sea Change Festival, Totnes
JUNE
14 Manchester, Band On The Wall (w/ Working Mens Club)

No comments:

Post a Comment