Friday, May 22, 2020

Track of the Day :: Lucia & The Best Boys - Let Go





Words: Richard Cobb

Glaswegian outfit Lucia & The Best Boys build on their triumphant start to the year with a bit of a sonic curveball in the form of their latest release, the deeply heart-breaking and atmospheric ‘Let Go.’

Out today (May 22), the fragile and sombre piano ballad gently tiptoes around the beautifully raw, vulnerable vocals of Lucia Fairfull.

“Last year I had a tough time trying to put my thoughts into comprehensible words,” Lucia recalls. “I was emotionally confused and sometimes lost. This led me to try things out, like writing on a piano which I never really do as I’ve always started writing songs on a guitar. Somehow this allowed these words to spill out of me whilst sitting at a piano, after a very long and frustrating time of finding what I wanted to say.”

Originally recorded as a demo out in LA last year, Lucia further explains that after listening back, it seemed to capture everything she wanted from the track. “It was almost overwhelming… it was such a weight off my shoulders, and a slight sense of relief as I felt like ‘ah, this is what I’ve been wanting to say the whole time.”

The song is a deep contrast to the majority of the four-piece’s energy-fuelled ‘Eternity’ EP which landed in January, though you could perhaps draw a parallel to the anthemic ‘My God’ as ‘Let Go’ follows a similar cautious and thought-provoking journey. It’s a fine art to be able to go so stripped back and lo-fi yet leave the listener hanging on every note and syllable, but Lucia & The Best Boys have conquered it masterfully here.


No comments:

Post a Comment