In the first of our Great Escape festival artist previews, we take time out with Coquin Migale.
Newcastle foursome Coquin Migale (pronounced ‘Co-kane Mag-elle’) caught the attention of Radio 1's Huw Stephens, BBC Radio 6 - and Little Indie - early last year. Stephens. Formed at Northumbria University in 2013, their debut EP 'The Yellow Room', and follow-up 'FEEL' - the latter from which first singles 'GOLD' and 'SOCOTRA' were taken - set about showing the band's ability to write complex guitar-driven indie music with strong lyrical content.
1. First time at TGE?
2. Are you a seasoned Escaper as a punter, or a first-time newbie?
We're all full Escaper virgins.
3. Will you be a Brighton day-tripper or staying for the whole event?
I will absolutely be having at least a bit of a 'Brighton day tripper' moment. My partner and I are very fond of the city, possibly our favourite and visit as much as we can.
4. The highlight of your set will be...?
Every single second of it.
5. Where will we be likely to find you after your set: at the bar, on the beach, stuffing fish 'n' chips, or other?
All four of them will be happening.
I'll probably be dragging the boys up the Lanes and onto the pier for their first Brighton experience. If we're near, I'll also be taking them to mine and the bird's favourite cafe for the best cooked breakfast in the whole of the world.
7. Who else playing at TGE are you hoping to see yourself, or would recommend others should put on their must see list?
Atlas Wynd, Beach Baby, Black Honey, Blaenavon, Bleeding Heart Pigeons,
Clean Cut Kid, Al Bairre, Labradoor and Lisbon - to name a few.
8. Where and when can we catch you at the festival?
Thursday: 3.30pm Royal Albion Hotel Bar Rogue.
9.20pm East Street Tap
Friday: 1.20pm East Street Tap and 10.40pm East Street Tap
9. Any tips for festival goers?
Have fun. Don't be a dick.
10. Complete this sentence: "You must see us at The Great Escape because..."
(Questions answered by the band's vocalist Alex Soper.)
Track the band on FACEBOOK
The Great Escape takes place at various venues across Brighton between May 19 - 21. Click here for further information.