Monday, May 01, 2017
The Great Escape Artist Q+A :: Monico Blonde
In the first of our Great Escape festival artist previews of artists we recommend seeing, we take time out with Monico Blonde.
Formed last summer, Cardiff's Monico Blonde are already being championed by BBC Radio 1 and Radio X. Their debut single 'Bad Thoughts' was chosen by Huw Stephens for Radio 1’s Best of BBC Introducing and the band was included in This Feeling’s ‘Big in 2017’ Fred Perry list. No strangers to Little Indie with their energy driven synths, drums, and hooky guitar-laden melodies, their latest single 'Love Is An Only Child' came out on April 28 via Fizzy Moon Records.
1. First time at TGE?
First time playing as a band, been once before though.
2. Are you a seasoned Escaper as a punter, or a first-time newbie?
Neither! Been for one day before, but ready for the full experience now.
3. Will you be a Brighton day-tripper or staying for the whole event?
We'll be staying as long as we can. We're playing on the Thursday so it's how ever long we can sofa surf. Hopefully for the whole weekend!
4. The highlight of your set will be...?
We've got a cheeky surprise in the set now. See if you can spot it.
5. Where will we be likely to find you after your set: at the bar, on the beach, stuffing fish n chips, or other?
We'll be finished by 5pm, so we'll probably do all of those before the night's done.
6. Aside from building sand(-or probably more pebble-)castles on the beach with your little bucket and spade, what else will you be up to in Brighton?
It's Great Escape, so walking around trying to find the best new music. Best chance this year to find some new faves.
7. Who else playing at TGE are you hoping to see yourself, or would recommend others should put on their must see list?
We have a few friends playing this year, so we recommend catching Estrons, Baby Queens, Casi and The Sandinistas. Also want to get ourselves at Slaves' Pier Party.
8. Please give your festival appearance/s, venues and stage times.
Thursday 1.30pm at BBC Horizons stage, Latest Music Bar and 4.15pm at the Queens Hotel.
9. Any tips for festival goers?
Get there Thursday and come party with us.
10. Complete this sentence: "You must see us at The Great Escape because..."
...because you want to start the festival with a bang!
(Questions answered by synths player Owen Richards)
Track Monico Blonde on FACEBOOK
The Great Escape takes place at various venues across Brighton between May 18 - 20. Click here for further information.