Monday, October 15, 2018

Best new tracks Down Under #41




With the vibrant indie music scene in Australia and New Zealand constantly outshining much of the output from their British and American cousins, Little Indie picks our weekly bunch of some of the best new tracks on offer.



CUB SPORT - SOMETIMES


Brisbane's alt-pop idols make further use of earworm twinkling synths on this new release which comes as a taster to their third album. Tim Nelson‘s spine-tingling, emotive vocals deliver vulnerable lines like “Sometimes I feel / Like my heart has been split open / You see everything I’m hoping / I’m a river running high" over the dance-influenced melodies. The moving two and a half minutes reflect on Nelson’s coming out experience, and he has previously explained its relevance: "It’s the first album that I’ve written entirely since I’ve been out. I feel like it’s the first time I’ve written a whole record as myself; that feels really powerful to me."
Facebook




IVEY - WON'T BE


With lively production by Konstantin Kersting (Mallrat, Tia Gostelow), the Gold Coast five-piece return with their new single, taken from the latest EP 'Gorgeous. It began, say the band, "from an Ableton loop our drummer Matt had created. Drawn to the lead synth riff you hear at the start of the song, we started to construct a song around it. What was resulted from that is one our most collaborative songwriting effort to date, and our first exploration into electronic music. 'Won’t Be' became a kind of anthem for the whole EP, theming topics of lost love, animosity and clarity”.
Facebook




THE RESPONSE - PRACTICAL


Christchurch, NZ alt-pop duo, Andrew and Victoria Knopp, herald their new self-produced EP, 'What Are You Waiting For?', out on November 17, with this future retro, upbeat track exploring the tenuous relationship between dreams and reality.
Facebook




MANI BLÜ - FRANKENSTEIN


Following debut single 'Turn Off The Radio' earlier this year, the Melbourne artist returns with this electro-pop track, an uptempo number that embraces love and loss. "'Frankenstein' was an idea that I had in early 2017. I had a melody idea stuck in my head, and I remember running to the piano as I started to sing it into my phone. I hope that people can appreciate its layers and colours, it is a very emotional song, I wanted to use synthetic vocals and hyper pop sounds to represent an inner feeling that co-existed with the rest of the track, it is super twisted pop, so I hope people can feel that."
Facebook




HAITCH - THE BEST THING


Little Indie featured 23-year old Sydney electronic artist Harrison Baker earlier in the year with his solo debut 'Body Double'. Now he has dropped two new tracks 'Autopilot' and 'The Best Thing' days apart earlier this month. "Releasing the new tracks 24 hours apart was important because that's the way they need to heard. I also wanted to give listeners enough music in my catalogue for them to start to understand the artist I am."
Twitter




ALAE - ALL GIVED UP


Amassing over 3 million Spotify streams to date, the Auckland, NZ indie-folk four-piece give a taste of their debut full-length, 'Henry St, out on October 26. '"All Gived Up’ is the first song that Allister (Meffan) and I wrote together as Alae," says vocalist Alex Farrel-Davey. "For 2 years now we’ve been playing it live, developing it, and wondering if we could have done better. With the addition of Marika and Jayden to the mix, we felt as though the song, and the band has grown so much, that we couldn’t not re-record it. Now we can give it the treatment it truly deserves," adding that lyrically it is based around "the naive and self righteous assumptions we make when we’re first presented with problematic situations. It teaches us to try, and to keep trying because that is literally the only thing in this world that you do have any control over.”
Facebook

No comments:

Post a Comment