Friday, November 08, 2019

Track Of The Day :: Odd Morris - Lilac Leaves





Words: Ellie Ward 

Coming ahead of their gigs tonight in Belfast (November 8) and tomorrow in Derry, 'Lilac Leaves' is the second single from the emerging Dublin quartet Odd Morris.

The follow up to their debut 'What Might Be' (released earlier in the year), is a slow-burner that is commanding in its post-punk sparsity, tightly wound guitars, dark driven drums and poetic lyrics, that recall Joy Division in their prime, crossed with contemporaries coming more latterly from the Emerald Isle: "And now my warm breath breaks upon / the blade of midnight air / I hear lilac leaves rustle through the wind / let speak the wind to me / New secrets swim through me / So adorn this place with memory."

“I wrote the lyrics to 'Lilac Leaves' while I was sitting at my window-sill in my bedroom at home, looking out into the garden,” explains frontman Daragh Griffin. “A friend of mine had said over a pint that his relationship with a family member was the greatest lesson in empathy he ever had, which really struck a chord with me. Writing 'Lilac Leaves' was my way of acknowledging forgiveness within a turbulent relationship before I moved out of the house I grew up in.”

The track comes via the music video, below, directed by Cashmere Media, and filmed in and around Dublin.



Live dates 

NOVEMBER
08 Belfast The Speakeasy
09 Derry Bennigan's Bar

JANUARY 2020
31 Dublin Whelans

No comments:

Post a Comment