Monday, June 22, 2020

Sam Johnson returns with brand new single 'The Kids Are Alright'


Credit: Dennis Dirksen



Words: Ellie Ward 

Originally scheduled for release a week or so earlier, Sam Johnson finally dropped the first taste of his second EP, 'The Kids Are Alright' last Friday.

Following on from the success of his breakthrough debut EP 'Eastcote' last year, Johnson is now gearing up to
second EP 'Are We There Yet?' with this reflective offering, the record's lead track. With an acoustic guitar accompaniment and light keys, Johnson adds his warmly defining voice as he recalls memories of yesteryear. his childhood, building on a slow progression to a powerful climax.

"I wrote this song whilst looking over my friend Nick Atkinson's DVD collection for some inspiration during a couple of days in his studio," he says. "I spotted one of my favourite films Old Boy on his shelf, and there in that moment conceived the first line of the song, 'Old boys, new tricks, and suburban Friday fun'. From there I started looking back on my teenage years growing up in a small market town on the border of England and Wales and all the mischief my friends and I would get up to.

"When I then discovered Nick's copy of the 2010 movie The Kids Are Alright, it all made sense. It wrapped up the sentiment of the song perfectly for the defining line of the chorus. My friends and I were at times flawed and brilliant, at times stupid and inspired, but all the while we had our hearts in the right places. We were alright. I wanted to write the soundtrack to my youth, and this is it."

Check it out below.

No comments:

Post a Comment