Friday, August 30, 2013

Introducing :: Foreign Television




When we first heard of Foreign Television and the delightfully ambient 'August' - one of two tracks from a forthcoming full length record - our first thoughts were, we have to admit, why is a Welshman, in Moscow, making music? Liking what we heard, we had to find out more...

So, Foreign Television is a one-man affair, right?

"I've always loved music and started making my own about seven years ago, when I felt I could play guitar and keyboard well enough! These new songs are the first that I've sung on, but I'm feeling good about them! They've taken about two and a half years to complete (10 tracks), but I'm glad to have put so much time into it now that they're finished."

Who and what is Francis Allen - your real name - about?

"Well, I am a 25-year-old man/boy from Pembrokeshire in West Wales. I have to resist the urge to answer that question with 'Francis Allen is...' - I think I need to get to the upper echelons of the music industry before I can refer to myself in the third person! Or maybe not, maybe that could be my gimmick? Francis Allen is thinking about the possibility of always speaking in the third person."

You/re currently based in Moscow?

"Yes, I studied Russian History at University and have always been interested in Russia. After University, I found myself in a mind-numbing office job in Cardiff and I thought it was the perfect time to go and live somewhere else and not have a feeling of doom every day walking to work. I moved to Moscow and got a job as an English teacher. Two years later i'm still here, though now as a Modern European History tutor, and I'm enjoying it a lot!"

Not a spy then?

"Yes, I'm a spy. Please don't tell anyone! Putin would be furious with me, and I can do without that!"

Are you a multi-instrumentalist, or are you computer-aided on the two tracks you have up on Bandcamp?

"No, it's not computer generated. I play guitars, bass and keyboard/piano (and a few other things throughout the album - accordion/harmonica/glockenspiel). The only things that are computer generated are some of the drum loops I used. Though I also recorded some of the drums myself on a drum machine."

Where do you draw inspiration from in your writing?

"I watch a lot of depressing films haha! Honestly, it's hard to say. I feel motivated to make music at different times. Sometimes because I've got a tune in my head, or a guitar piece I like. Other times I write stuff just because I feel like I should be making something of my own. I love listening to other people's music, and sometimes it gives me a push to go and work on my own stuff."

How is the music scene in Moscow?

"Not the best. I've got some friends that go to a fair few gigs, but in comparison with London or big cities in Europe and America, it's not up to the same standard. Maybe there's a great and vibrant underground music scene i'm missing out on! I'm not sure. The big bands that come here are usually coming towards the end of their careers, or are waning in popularity at home or in America. The Smashing Pumpkins were here the other day (again, not exactly at the height of their popularity!). Mew are playing in December! By the time I see them I'll have been excited about the concert for 9 months, that says something for the regularity with which good bands play in Moscow!"

You previously played under the name Snowmobile. What happened with that project?

"Snowmobile was instrumental music. When I started adding vocals and recording this new sounding music, I felt like it was a good time to start a new, shiny project! I'm happy for people to check out my Snowmobile stuff, especially the last album 'Empty Rooms', but I feel my new stuff as 'Foreign Television' is a lot better!"

How is the album shaping up?

"The album is looking finished. I just have to make some tweaks to little things (sound levels and the like). I'm going to release it at the end of September or early October. I'm hoping to gain a bit of interest, and then have at least some people to release the album to."

Have you played any live shows?

"No, but I'm going to look into setting up a live band to play this album!"


BANDCAMP

FACEBOOK


No comments:

Post a Comment