Thursday, October 17, 2013

One To Watch :: Paul Orwell





Paul Orwell, London singer/songwriter, is a man who sounds as if he has been born well out of his time. Listen to his music, especially new single 'Little Reason' - watch the video below - and you are transported back to the 60s, with wincklepicker shoes, Beatle hair mops and sharp double-breasted suits.

"An explosion of vintage sounds and panoramic overtones. Full of modernist tinted magic as Paul wears his influences firmly on his sleeve. Creating an illustrious, classic flow of music filled with nostalgia and wonderment." - says the press release. We ask Paul a few quick-fire questions just to see if he lives up to his age.


Who is Paul Orwell? What is the man behind the voice about?

Big hair - with an ego to match!


And where is he from?

London.


When did you first pick up a guitar? First write a song?

I picked up a guitar when I was 13. Probably started writing around then too.


How and where did you start out as a performer?

I did a battle of the bands once, never won…it was a fix!


Is music in the genes? Any other musical Orwells?

Nope, I think my great-great-great-Nan..once played organ at the cinema. That's about it.


Who are your musical influences and what inspires you lyrically?

Heaven & Hell and all that's in-between.



This Sixties style, how did that develop? Presumably through a love of that decade's music?

It's just a more natural way for me to write a song. I don't have to try hard..it just comes out that way.


Is your record collection more older stuff than present day? Talk us thru some.

My love for The Beatles started me record collecting when I was about 8 years old, so I've got a lot of random records. I like obscure stuff - I try not to listen to stuff past the mid 70's, if I can help it. I love Northern Soul, old R&B and 60's beat/mod b'sides.


Are you Sixties fashion conscious too? Do you go scouting second hand shops for vintage gear?

My wardrobe is bursting with sixties gear! No more scouting for me - more parading I think!


What are your plans for the rest of the year?

Get an album release, play some great gigs…and spread the good word.


Tell us a little bit about how 'Little Reason' came to fruition?

It's a secret



Check out the video to 'Little Reason' below.

FACEBOOK


No comments:

Post a Comment