Tuesday, December 24, 2013

Introducing :: Charms




Charms is the moniker of 20-year-old fast-rising producer Tom Dixon. Originally from Bristol and now based in Manchester, he has been producing music for a number of years but up until now has been involved mainly in a band format.

Now he has uploaded two new tracks to Soundcloud, and as he himself says, "The recordings online are admittedly pretty weird. I call it drum music in response to the label 'bass music' that has become so vaguely thrown around modern house and techno. I wanted to distance myself from that so that I didn't get sucked into that empty space. It's very rhythmic obviously as well. I hope the music comes off as difficult really."

Check out 'Mbalax' and 'It Felt Good Then It Stopped' below. Both form part of that afro acid house genre, yet there is something well...weirdly compelling about them, even if the style is not usually your 'thing'.

"The recordings I am working on at the moment are heavily influenced by a lot of afrobeat and soukous music that is still very new and exciting to me. They should be released around Spring 2014," adds Charms.

FACEBOOK





No comments:

Post a Comment