Wednesday, January 08, 2014

Ernest Ellis Unveils Second Album Single



In advance of his March album, 'Cold Desire', Brisbane's Ernest Ellis drops a new single, 'Shine Like Me', which follows on from the first track release 'Black Wire' last year. See here for more.

Following the release of two albums in just over a year (2010's 'Hunting' and 'King’s Canyon' the following year ), Ellis spent time re-evaluating and was quiet on the music scene before ine arly 2013 began the writing and recording process for a third LP.

'Space is a real key thing with this album,' says Ellis. 'No clutter to it. Just a lean, well thought out sound that we spent a lot of time shaping, and which allowed for the words to come through in a clean and direct way. It's hard to face yourself in that sort of way on record, without all the obliquely directed clatter in there to hide the faults in your voice or in the words. But I think it was when I was listening to Coney Island Baby one time around when we started recording that I thought I've gotta stop just trying to be clever and essentially evasive, and just put myself on a record in no uncertain terms. And that's what I've done here lyrically, it's definitely the most personal thing I've made.'

The album's title, 'Cold Desire', stems from the lyrical direction of the whole record, according to Ellis: ‘I find my most free-flowing, ether channeling self when I’m properly caught up with writing a song. Full of desire for everything I can get my mind’s eye on I guess, and usually that leads me into the more dark voids of the brain, certainly that was the case in the writing of this record that’s for sure.’

'Cold Desire' is out on March 7 via Spunk Records.

Ernest Ellis has two live shows lined up in February, playing 23rd at Northcote Social Club, Melbourne, and 28th at Brighton Up Bar, Sydney.


No comments:

Post a Comment