Monday, May 09, 2016
The Great Escape Artist Preview :: Methyl Ethel
Continuing our Great Escape festival artist previews, today we take time out with Methyl Ethel.
Western Australia's Methyl Ethel is the uninhibited alt-pop project from Perth musician Jake Webb. Originating as an outlet for Webb’s now signature ambient, textural guitar experimentations, Methyl Ethel has since blossomed into one of the most critically acclaimed Australian acts of the last years. Their early reverb-soaked home recordings explore themes of anxiety, disillusionment and stasis. The EP diptych, 'Guts and Teeth', were formed of intricate tapestries of melody, dripping with lush eccentricity, ascended through the ether and onto the airwaves and online.
1. First time at TGE?
2. Are you a seasoned Escaper as a punter, or a first-time newbie?'
3. Will you be a Brighton day-tripper or staying for the whole event?
In, out and around.
4. The highlight of your set will be...?
The moment we realise that all our gear is working.
5. Where will we be likely to find you after your set: at the bar, on the beach, stuffing fish 'n' chips, or other?
Let's go with all three, a trifecta of seaside delights.
6. Aside from building sandcastles on the beach with your little bucket and spade, what else will you be up to in Brighton?
Roller-blading down the boulevard, hunting for perfectly executed high-fives and all the other famous Brighton-esque activities.
7. Who else playing at TGE are you hoping to see yourself, or would recommend others should put on their must see list?
Be prepared to be amazed by all.
8. Where and when can we catch you at the festival?
Thurs 19 May: Sound Gallery @ Komedia Downstairs – 2:55pm / Sticky Mike’s Frog Bar – 9:30pm.
Sat 21 May: House Arrest X Cannibal Hymns X Dice FM present @ Bleach – 1:30pm.
9. Any tips for festival goers?
Slip, Slop, Slap, Seek and Slide.
10. Complete this sentence: "You must see us at The Great Escape because..."
You haven't before and new experiences are the cornerstone of a fulfilling life.
(Questions answered by vocalist/guitarist Jake Webb.)
Track Methyl Ethel on FACEBOOK
The Great Escape takes place at various venues across Brighton between May 19 - 21. Click here for further information.