Wednesday, April 04, 2018

Brisbane's Hatchie shares Heavenly Recordings debut 'Sugar & Spice’





Words: Ellie Ward

Brisbane's Harriette Pilbeam  - aka Hatchie - shares another of her shimmeringly infectious shoegazey pop offerings with 'Sugar & Spice’, the title track of her debut EP, out May 25 via Heavenly Recordings.

Following her breakthrough debut singles ‘Try’ and ‘Sure’, when Little Indie first heard her, Harriette says of the EP:

“After writing music that never felt cohesive or special enough to warrant its own venture, ‘Try’ marked a shift in my writing style I wasn’t expecting. I wrote it in early 2015, followed quickly by ‘Sleep’ and ‘Sugar & Spice’. They were written more for myself than for a specific project, in an effort to explore feelings of vulnerability and ecstasy I had previously suppressed. I wanted these songs to sound lush, sparkly, and recreate euphoric feelings I experienced falling in love for the first time. I reworked my demos with Joe Agius, whose production and writing additions achieved the perfect sound I was searching for, giving me confidence to start taking the songs more seriously and continue writing.

"The songs on ‘Sugar & Spice’ were all written without much thought or pressure from myself or anyone else, allowing me to lay my feelings out like I’ve never done before."



Hatchie heads to the UK next month.

MAY
05  Live at Leeds, LEEDS
5-6 Sound City Festival, LIVERPOOL
06 Sounds from the Other City, SALFORD
07 Hare & Hounds, BIRMINGHAM
08 The Hug & Pint, GLASGOW
10 Shacklewell Arms, LONDON
16 The Social, LONDON
17-19 The Great Escape, BRIGHTON
22 Sebright Arms, LONDON

No comments:

Post a Comment