Thursday, April 26, 2018

Track Of The Day :: Yawwn - Be A Man





Words: Ellie Ward

Second single from Wimbledon, south-London's Yawwn, released today (April 26), digitally via Secret Dinosaur Records.

For the 'Be A Man' follow up to January's debut single 'Partisan', the five-piece were premiered by John Kennedy on Radio X, impressing him enough to invite them to play his Remedy night at Tooting Tram & Social.

Taken from their forthcoming debut EP, the band blend psych-rock and indie-pop, with Toby Hasler-Winter leading with an interesting vocal approach, over a nice arrangement of guitars and solidified by consistent rumbling drums. The pace change midway with some trippy elements thrown in as an extra touch.

"On ‘Be A Man’, I'd been thinking about the sludge of conventional manhood, how to be, and where I fit in, next to my own insecurities," reveals Toby. "Am I strong enough, can I be happy, can I recover from failure, can I feel whole, and fundamentally, am I lovable? This song is an affirmation. I can be a man, any kind I want."

Live dates

MAY
27 Canterbury City Sound Project festival

JUNE
03 London Notting Hill Arts Club


No comments:

Post a Comment