Continuing our Great Escape festival artist previews, today we take time out with Island.
Oxford-formed, now London-
based, four-piece Island, ‘Spotless Mind’ is the latest single to follow the success of their debut EP ‘Girl’ which came out late last year, and earlier first single, 'Stargazer'. Think Foals, early Arctic Monkeys in the swelling guitars, mellow, deep rhythms and the hypnotic texture of Rollo Doherty's affecting vocals.
1. First time at TGE?
Yep. We've been meaning to check it out for ages, so it's great to have the excuse of playing there this year.
2. Are you a seasoned Escaper as a punter, or a first-time newbie?
3. Will you be a Brighton day-tripper or staying for the whole event?
We weren't planning on leaving.
Always great to play one that's just come out, so our new single 'Spotless Mind' will definitely be a highlights for us.
5. Where will we be likely to find you after your set: at the bar, on the beach, stuffing fish 'n' chips, or other?
Probably all of the above, as well as our favourite falafel spot in the Lanes.
6. Aside from building sandcastles on the beach with your little bucket and spade, what else will you be up to in Brighton?
We're playing The Alternative Escape on the Friday which should be pretty sweet, and we also wanna find some time to visit Lewes again while we're down there.
7. Who else playing at TGE are you hoping to see yourself, or would recommend others should put on their must see list?
Our brothers Isaac Gracie, George Taylor, and Hidden Charms. All amazing live acts.
TAE // Fri 20th May // 20:15 // North Laine Brewery
TGE // Sat 21st May // 21:15 // Patterns
9. Any tips for festival goers?
Find that falafel place.
10. Complete this sentence: "You must see us at The Great Escape because..."
We've written a new tune and we'd really love to play it for you.
(Questions answered by drummer Toby Richards.)
Track Island on FACEBOOK
The Great Escape takes place at various venues across Brighton between May 19 - 21. Click here for further information.