Credit: Jamie Wesley-Brown
In the first of our Great Escape festival artist previews of must see acts, we take time out with Yukon Era.
Auckland, New Zealand post-punks Yukon Era dropped their first song in over a year back in February: 'Feel'. Described by vocalist Christian Dimick as "a song that touches on personal issues within my life. Feeling absent from others as well as myself, along with feeling crushed by the weight of peoples expectations of me. When in reality it doesn't matter, which I can say now. But while writing the song my mind was in another place."
New release ‘Knife Skies of Quietly’ is out on June 8, with their debut album set for later in the year.
1. First time at TGE?
This is a first for all of us. Very keen to see what it's like as we've never played a festival like this.
3. Will you be a Brighton day-tripper or staying for the whole event?
We're staying for a couple of days, as we're playing twice on the Thursday, and once on the Friday. We have a day off on Saturday so we'll probably just play it by ear!
4. The highlight of your set will be...?
We're just stoked to have the opportunity to play the festival. We're already buzzing about it and it's still a couple of weeks away, so I'm sure there will be a lot of energy from us on stage.
5. Where will we be likely to find you after your set: at the bar, on the beach, stuffing fish n chips, or other?
Probably at the bar, having a nice after show drink/trying to sell some merch. I like to think that we're quite friendly, so I'm sure we'll be having a few yarns as well.
6. Aside from building sand(-or probably more pebble-)castles on the beach with your little bucket and spade, what else will you be up to in Brighton?
Well, there's so many great acts playing TGE this year, so we'll be trying to see all the ones we can, especially IDLES. We're huge fans and none of us have seen them live yet, so we'll all be there ahead of time. Other than that, the Royal Pavilion looks pretty cool and I guess we'll probably just do some walking around, checking the city out.
7. Who else playing at TGE are you hoping to see yourself, or would recommend others should put on their must see list?
As I mentioned before, there are heaps of amazing acts playing this year. IDLES, Hockey Dad, Japanese Breakfast, Kojey Radical, NAO, Teeks + many more are on our lists. We highly recommend all of these acts.
8. Please give your festival appearance/s, venues and stage times.
May 17th - Brighton - The Great Escape - One Church @ 1:30pm
May 17th - Brighton - The Great Escape - Sticky Mikes @ 8:30pm
May 18th - Brighton - The Great Escape - Black Lion @ 1:30pm
Stay safe, stay hydrated, don't be afraid to dance, and enjoy yourself!
10. Complete this sentence: "You must see us at The Great Escape because...
We've travelled halfway around the world!
(Questions answered by guitarist Lachie Thurlow)
Track Yukon Era on Facebook
The Great Escape takes place at various venues across Brighton between May 17 - 19. Click here for further information.