Tuesday, November 26, 2019

TYGERMYLK reflect on climate crisis on compelling 'I Killed the Bees' 





Words: Ellie Ward 

Hayley Harland and Aurora Bennett, of Brighton-based duo TYGERMYLK, share their new self-produced 'I Killed the Bees' -  the title track off  their upcoming EP - released last week via AWAL.

The theme of the indie-folk duo's song is climate crisis, even though its fresh and breezy sound with honeyed vocals make it sound sweeter than its lyrical meaning. Stirring voices are layered over guitar and drums, lending an evocative and haunting quality.

“Around the time Extinction Rebellion began to gain momentum, I had a dream where this hive full of bees were my children (much like Khaleesi, mother of dragons but less glam) and I killed them all by eating too much honey," reveals Harland.

"It was so real that I woke up in tears, full of regret. It’s kind of a perfect allegory for what’s going on with our planet, how our consumer culture is wrecking the beautiful world we live in. At the time I felt hopeless, like no matter what choices I make, no matter how many bags for life I use, we’d still all be fucked… but that’s not true of course. The truth is, we’re all responsible for what happens next and the point of the song is to highlight our hypocrisies and galvanise people into real change.”

Tune in.

No comments:

Post a Comment