Tuesday, February 11, 2020

Best new tracks Down Under #6





With the vibrant indie music scene in Australia and New Zealand constantly outshining much of the output from their British and American cousins, Little Indie picks our weekly bunch of some of the best new tracks on offer.


MOBS - SCHOOLS OUT


The nostalgic pop quartet from Melbourne share this track from their forthcoming album, 'Cinema Paradiso', released February 28 through Rude Records. Inspired by the classic film Ferris Bueller’s Day Off, the band hone their 80s indebted feel with a funky electro-pop groove.
Facebook




EILISH GILLIGAN - I JUST WANT TO LOOK AT YOU


The Melbourne-based singer-songwriter comes up on last year's three singles - 'The Pull', 'Keep Up' and 'Someone Else' - with this lush Jonathan Boulet co-produced dreampop single. Shining vocals, clear percussion, and shimmery synth, "'I Just Want To Look At You' started as a throwaway phrase that someone said to me once. I couldn’t get it out of my head for days afterwards," she says. "If you think about it, it’s actually such a nice thing to have someone say to you."
Facebook




NIC ROLLO - MONSTER


Released last week, the Perth-based producer and songwriter follows his 2019 EP 'What Happened to the Kid', with this new single about identifying and quelling the monster within us all. Lifted by glistening synths, hooky guitar and driving percussion, The track waa written, he says, “during a previous relationship of mine when things were a bit shaky. There were a few times that I’d said something to my ex that had started to cause fractures in the relationship and unnecessary conflict. 'Monster' is about that side of myself that I don’t always like - the part that is impulsive and lashes out when I should just hold my tongue.”
Facebook




GRASSHOLE - WILDFIRE


The title track from the forthcoming second album, out in March, by the Melbourne stoner-punk trio Careering along at a pace with fuzzy bass and punk/garage rock vibe, it lyrically "is about giving life a solid nudge," says vocalist/guitarist Karis. "I’ve had this mentality my whole life, it’s all or nothing. I hate sitting on the fence, so when I wrote this song at a mediocre point in my life, I was fed up with treading water. It’s a great feeling to throw yourself into something with all your heart.”
Facebook




BENEE - SUPALONELY (ft. Gus Dapperton)


Twenty-year-old Auckland, NZ indie pop star BENEE is back with a new cut, featuring US singer/songwriter Gus Dapperton, taken from last November's 'STELLA & STEVE' EP. Released last week, its breakup lyrics are carried by sunny pop grooves and autotune-inflected vocals. BENEE arrives in the UK in May to play The Great Escape after an April US tourm
Facebook




ULTRACRUSH - LEAVE


Sydney dreampop five-piece Ultracrush return with a long awaited follow up to their 2018 debut single ‘Swimming’. On the easy, flowing four-minute ‘Leave’, layered synths play against gentle guitar melodies and laid-back vocals with a retro 90s essence.
Facebook

No comments:

Post a Comment