Sunday, June 21, 2015

Track Of The Day :: Only Girl - Remains




Words: Linn Branson

We first wrote about Ellen Murphy 16 months ago as our One To Watch. Known as Only Girl, the girl from south-east London East London has been honing her own brand of soulful, atmospheric R&B infused pop that we heard on first offerings. 'Bittersweet' and 'Feel It'.

Now she is set to release her second official single 'Remains' on July 17 through Akira Records, with a debut EP to follow this later in the year.

Produced by JM∆C with additional production by Mt. Wolf's Sebastian Fox, Ellen describes the lustrous gospel-tinged track as, "about feeling lost and building yourself back up again. When I'd gone through one of the biggest traumas of my life, helping my boyfriend Jamie recover from a traumatic brain injury, I felt like I had lost a big part of myself and writing music was like my therapy to get my emotions out. In turn, each song became a narrative of our journey through the recovery. In this song I was telling myself to just stop for a moment and remember the girl I was before; and that despite everything that had changed in my life and in him, I could still find a way to be my old self and learn to love him again."

Only Girl will headline St Pancras Old Church in London on July 22.

No comments:

Post a Comment