Thursday, February 22, 2018

Sing & Tell :: Pining For Sunshine




Brighton-based 'funeral pop' artist Pining For Sunshine's - a Little Indie One To Watch 2018 -
melancholic new single 'So Little Time' - recently premiered on Radio X by John Kennedy - was recorded at Bella Union Studios, and combines both experience with insight.


Who are you? 

I’m Jacob. Some people call me Whiskers. I’m the creator of Pining For Sunshine.

Tell us something about yourself and how you came to be where you are today? 

Erm... I grew up in Wales, moved around a lot, went to uni in London, hated it, got ill and moved to the South Coast and the rest is history.

Give us an idea of your musical style and influences.

I guess my music’s quite miserable, but big sounding. Gotta love: Nick Drake, Pink Floyd, Matt Maltese, The Cure and Nick Cave. All fantastic.

Explain the production and writing process behind your songs.

I never think about lyrics, they just write themselves. I improvise start to finish on the guitar, record it, add vocals and other instruments, then that’s the demo. Then I go to Iggy B at Bella Union Studios in London, and he helps me get it sounding better than I could ever imagine.

Tell us a little about your new single.

'So Little Time' is about my friend’s girlfriend, Amy. She committed suicide, and it’s mainly about how he’s not coping. It sucks.



Can we catch up with you at any forthcoming live shows?
Of course. I’m playing
SXSW in Texas on March 17. Then in UK: Folklore Sessions on April 4; Liverpool Sound City on May 5, and May 17 + 18 at The
Great Escape in Brighton.

How's the rest of the year looking, plans-wise?

Optimistic, I hope. Looking to tour at some point, should be grand.

Where can we hear more of your music?

Spotify, Apple Music, Soundcloud. All those streaming platforms.

What social media platforms can we find you on?

Facebook // Instagram // Twitter

No comments:

Post a Comment